Thursday, May 16, 2013

Why art is a necessity

Yesterday in my blog I mentioned I had proof that art helps us.


Here it is. A school in Roxbury, Massachusetts had a very weak art program to begin with. The kids attending the school had been acting out and so the principle decided to get rid of the art program completely to hire 3 security guards to handle the kids. The school got worse and worse, 2 years later it was ranked in the bottom 5 public schools in the area. When there 6th principle was hired he decided to get rid of the security guards to bring back art.  After the change he made, grades began improving and the kids became less violent.

This is just hard proof that the human mind is powerful, but has it's fragility as well. Emotions are it's weakness. We can build and create robots with depth perception, we can create new theories of math and music, but our emotions break us down at times. Art, or creativity in general, is the outlet (but art has a better way of defining emotion as opposed to science or other creation). Like I said, I personally write music to ease my soul. It's like writing a letter to the things that bother you. I saw once that if you're made at someone, it helps to write a note then never send it. I tried it and it works VERY well. My music does the same exact thing in a more abstract sense. Not only the music I create but music from others can also be very touching, or wise, something I can learn from.

Art is not only for ourselves but to give others a sense of a universal soul. Now I don't mean to go all hippy on you guys, but think about it. We can connect with each other through art. A picture is worth a thousand words, poetry touches the soul. What does The Scream say to you? How does The Tell-Tale Heart  speak to you? There's emotion in both pieces of art, something of humanity is stored inside of what we see and comprehend that we can relate to. Of course, those are only examples of popular art I used. Maybe those aren't as relatable as others that we encounter.

The reason I bring this up though is because I wanted to be a musician. I felt lost because I believed that music wasn't necessary. I wouldn't be giving anything to my community, or changing the world with music. I need to be a doctor, or construction worker, or psychologist to help in this world. I talked to my sister about this, she is very wise, and told me that art is a universal language. It gives people a sense of comfort to see and feel, they aren't alone in the things they wish to express. It made sense to me after that, I connect with music in that way, and some poetry as well.

Never underestimate art :) use it as an outlet, it's beautiful to us for a reason. People cry when they see pictures, watch movies, read quotes, and/or listen to music for a reason. It touches the soul like nothing ever could. I recommend finding your outlet if there is emotional discomfort in your life :) it's a life saver

No comments:

Post a Comment